Sunday, June 3, 2007

In the Zone

"The Zone" is a huge indoor/ outdoor mall/ market in the Rosebank neighborhood. Eleanor (Prof Ross) again kindly offered to spend her afternoon to take me there. There is everything from up-scale jewelry stores to a flea market- of course I wanted to go to the flea market! There were crafts from all over Africa- I especially was a fan of the masks.
There were also several performers of various sorts about the market- click here to hear a 36 second mp3 clip of the wooden xylophone folks pictured below.
The last photo is of Hillsboro, which I can now say I drove through! It's not the best of neighborhoods, but on a Sunday afternoon we figured that it would be fine for a drive-thru. When you see a picture of Johannesburg with a big tower, it is the Hillsboro Tower.





No comments: