Thursday, May 31, 2007

Joburg on Strike

I am working from my apartment tomorrow because of the difference between 6% and 57%. Let me explain. Public workers (about 1 million of them in South Africa) were offered a 6% increase in salaries whereas government officials increased their own salaries from upwards of 50% (President Thabo Mbeki himself got a 57% increase in salary). An article on the strike is here. The folks I work with actually said was that I should not leave my apartment tomorrow because 1) I probably would not be able to get into the Wits medical school building because the public workers are going on strike, which includes the guards and 2) it might not be safe as strikes & marches can explode into bloody conflicts with the police (in a past strike 200 Wits student protesters were arrested and there were many injuries due to police force).
So tomorrow I'll try to catch up on 2 other projects I'm working on & on my Spanish-version Harry Potter reading (in prep for Peru!)

No comments: